Friday, March 2, 2012

Don't Stand So Close To Me.....

    Good Morning Everybody!
    So I'm on Spring Break now, but it doesn't really feel like a break because I still have like six trillion things to do. I have this one assignment for my research paper that has had me totally tripped up for about two weeks and I still can't get into the jam of it. Frustrating.
    Every morning I have two things that I usually do: go to the Keurig and make myself coffee, and log in to my various homepages so I can read my mail and the morning headlines. I was logging into my work email and saw this curious little article: Teacher, 41, files for divorce and quits his job to be with former student, 18.
     This is an odd situation. Basically, this teacher met this student when she was a freshman, and over time they became attracted to each other, now they're together. They say nothing really happened until she turned 18 and he quit his job. Her mother says that she doesn't believe that because she has records of them having around 8,000 text messages and emails. The real kicker in this situation is that this guy taught at the same school his daughter goes to. She's a classmate of his now girlfriend.
     The two things that immediately jumped into my mind here were "mid life crisis", and "wow, did you really have to go about it like THAT?" The girls mother is saying that she thinks her daughter was groomed into this, which is a possibility. If so, that's f***ing sick.
     If the two of them are being honest about not acting on anything until she was legal and he was no longer a teacher, then the only thing I can really say about that is that he really should have waited until his daughter graduated.
      Whatever this dude is going through is not his kid's problem, but now that girl's life is going to be social hell because of his actions. She's not going to be able to show her face in those halls anymore, who are we kidding? This dude claims that he wants to salvage a relationship with his kids. I really can't see that happening, considering that his daughter's life is going to be all mucked up now and she's probably creeped out. His divorce...well, nobody but the family really knows the state of that marriage. It could have been kaput long before this, who knows?  But wow.
    I'm pretty leinent about weird situations and age differences, because it doesn't really phase me in my own life. My own partner is fourteen years my senior, actually. I've always been of the school of thought that if you actually do go through a situation like these two did, it would be right to wait it out to eighteen (or preferably a bit later than that). I think it's also really important if you end up falling for somebody who's literally the same age as your kids to keep your family in mind. They came first, and it should be that way. A dude making his daughter alienated as all hell by weirding her out will wreck their relationship completely. I don't think I'd ever get involved with somebody who had kids that were my age for that exact reason. If I really liked whoever it was, I'd stay far away because I didn't want to ruin some other, long standing and really emotional part of their lives. That just isn't worth it. It's just a moral hangup of mine. In my eyes, that's just something I couldn't look myself in the eyes in the mirror for anymore.
    I don't know what's up with the couple in question. I will make a prediction though- they'll probably call it quits because of what gets said in the media.
    Thoughts?
     

No comments:

Post a Comment