Monday, February 27, 2012

Student Life. Not sure if I'm showing my age or if I'm just really, really neurotic.



            I really have not decided on what it is I actually want to do. I’ve always know that whatever I ended up doing for a living would have something to do with communication, law, or education. After my disastrous experiences with my high school counselor and psychiatrist’s office, I started to think about working with at-risk teens and young adults. I don’t know how I want to do that just yet, but I really look back on my own experiences and I can’t help but wish somebody competent was actually there to help me get to the very root about what was going on with me. I had a lackluster counselor who really only had one urge: to satisfy my father and push her one solution on me. Needless to say, it didn’t work.
I have felt very much brushed aside by the school system from that moment on. I tried (twice) to go back to classes when I was in high school, after screwing around for a while.  I got really discouraged the first time I came back, and the second time I was told that 1) I could never finish on time because I was undercredited and overage, and 2) That I shouldn’t even bother trying to get into another option…that I should just drop out. (Yes…that is almost a word-for-word quote.)
             I’ve been toying around with the idea of either Psychology or Law for a few months. When I first started at CCP my major was Education, but I realized that being a teacher wasn’t exactly what I envisioned when I thought about what I really wanted to do. Right now, I’m a Social Sciences major. I’m considering taking my BA in Psychology after this, probably by doing a dual BA/MA program at Drexel or another Philadelphia-area college. After that…I don’t really know. I know that I’m going to end up with a graduate degree, but I’m not sure if I want to get a license to practice law or become a shrink. I guess that’s going to be a bridge that I’ll cross once I come upon it. Who knows, maybe I’ll end up in a job I like once I’m done my master’s and I won’t feel a need to go to go further at all.
            I’m getting the feeling like looking at the big picture right now is making me overly anxious. I still have a healthy four to five years between here and grad school. I think part of me is being impatient because I started college so much later than everyone around me. There’s probably some self-consciousness lingering around in my crazy little head because of that. It feels really weird to watch everyone else LEAVE while I’m just finishing my freshman year.  I know that really shouldn’t matter, but it’s a nagging thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment