Thursday, February 23, 2012

Media Spin & NoH8 Congress!

Hey!

     I know, I've been gone again. Not having a computer to work on makes writing this thing kind of difficult. I could have written this yesterday, but I was racing around between home, classes, and Mass for Ash Wednesday that I had no time.
     While I was on the el yesterday, I was reading the news and came across this article. I read through it a few times, and I still can't totally decide how I feel about it. On one hand, I give the guy props for sticking to his guns. But on the other, I can't help but feel like this is small-time and cliche. That feeling may be what the author of this piece was going for, considering that the sentence:"Time will tell if this the first salvo in a larger hairstylist revolt or, simply, an isolated incident." closes this article.
   
  I know that there are a lot of pro-grassroots people and groups when it comes to issues such as lgbt rights. There are countless amounts of people who do small things every day to open minds and advance their cause. Some of these people mean well but trivialize the argument, like the "Occupy" gays that "glitterbomb" people they disagree with at events. The hairstylist in question may be meaning to open up the mind of his client, and it may well work, but the way this situation was presented to the mass public will probably have an impact on deciding whether it was attention-seeking or cause advancing.
      In other news, it was pretty awesome to see ten members of Congress participate in the No H8 Campaign. I'm not surprised at the lack of Republicans in that mix, but I am disappointed about it. There are pro-equality Reds on the Hill, believe it or not. They need to speak their support about those opinions to balance out the hateful people (and stereotype of) the Republican party.


No comments:

Post a Comment