Thursday, June 28, 2012

Obama and The Rainbow Paint.

    Hey, so I know it's been a while. Things have been a little bit nuts for the last couple weeks, and I'm in sore need of a vacation. Which I'm taking tomorrow, so I figured I'd get this post in before I left for the weekend.

     I want to chip my two cents in on a topic that's been really buzzing in both the political and gay circles for a while now. Barack Obama's reelection/marketing is working serious overtime for a second term. His campaign is now including merchandise and targeted messages for the women, Latino, Black, and gay votes. Obama Pride has been catching a lot of attention. The campaign was giving out free rainbow "Out for Obama" stickers and merchandise at all pride events this year. The White House even had a pride event for the first time in history this June.

     On one hand, I am happy to see the Obama administration actually trying to make progress with LGBT issues, like the repeal of the extremely unnecessary and stupid DADT for the US military. On the other, I'm actually a little bit insulted at the flamboyance of all this "rainbow washing". It sort of reminds me of a Family Guy skit where Lois was running for office and was told that undecided voters will pretty much go for anything that hits a chord with them. Insulting.
     It's so transparent that this is a tactic for the HRC's backing and the gay vote. That vote is a pretty big deal to the reelection because traditionally the gays have the money to fund politicians that serve their cause. (I guess the hetero half of me keeps me broke, because I don't see ANY financial benefits to being a switch hitter. BOOO!)

     I really hate how the gay-friendly wash on Obama is supposed to drag the entire LGBT community to his re-election. There are other issues that have effects on this community besides bullying and marriage, believe it or not. How can we even get into workplace discrimination if our labor situation and economy suck? How can we talk about LGBT health conferences when Americans of every possible creed and orientation can't afford basic health care? We're worried about bullying...when our national drop out rate is rising every year and our education situation is getting more hopeless for all students every day?

     Granted, I don't believe that Mitt Romney is good for gays (or America at this time, for that matter) but is the fake spectacle that is "Obama Pride" really necessary?

No comments:

Post a Comment