Monday, May 7, 2012

It's been a while, but I'm back with some surprising news!

     I know it's been a while, but life had me on my toes for the last couple of weeks. I finally got that ridiculously hard paper finished, and God only knows if I passed my other course. Work was a little wild last month too, so that didn't leave a lot of room in my day to check in here. Things have gotten a little bit more controllable now, so I'll probably be back for a while.
     There have been a lot of crazy events in the land of the switchhitters lately. The first thing I want on the agenda is really not something I'm happy to hear. The site that launched the "I Am Visible" campaign is shutting down.  "I Am Visible" was a great initiative to fight biphobia and erasure, it just never really took off as well as say, The Trevor Project did. The site was an incredible resource for the bisexual community and I truly am sad to see it go. You can still check it out at: Bi Social Network...signing off :(
     Speaking of campaigns with great messages that I'd love to see take off, You Can Play seems to be going somewhere! This awesome interview appeared in Philly Gay News not too long ago, and I actually got the chance to chat with Patrick Burke, You Can Play founder and scout for the Flyers, about a possible YCP appearance at June's PhillyPride or possibly Outfest! in October. Burke was at Equality Forum over the weekend, so hopefully the schedule will allow for some YCP at our pride events! The online shop that carries merch to raise awareness of the initiative should be open right in time for Pride month, around June first.
     And one more piece before I sign off for the day, Vice-President Joe Biden has come out in support of gay unions! I ran across this on CatholicsForEquality's Twitter feed, but now his comments have gone viral and can be found all over the place.
     "I am absolutely comfortable with the fact that men marrying men, women marrying women, and heterosexual men and women marrying another are entitled to the same exact rights, all the civil rights, all the civil liberties,and quite frankly, I don't see much of a distinction beyond that. The good news is that as more and more Americans become to understand what this is all about is a simple proposition," he said. "Who do you love?  Who do you love?  And will you be loyal to the person you love?  And that's what people are finding out is what -- what all marriages, at their root, are about." -Joe Biden on Meet The Press, April 6th 2012
     This is actually pretty great news for the LGBT Catholic/Episcopalian community, because Biden is the highest ranking Catholic in the United States political system. This is a great merging of faith and morality that's so, so positive for progress on civil unions/gay marriage in this country. It may be words but they're strong words. Stronger even than President Barack Obama has ever offered on the issue. A huge step forward with just a few sentences.

No comments:

Post a Comment